The purpose of this document is to provide participants involved in development of U-M’s response to allegations of student sexual misconduct with a list of questions to be discussed as part of their interview in the first phase of the project.
Project Overview: We are working together to create an inclusive, community-authored policy for the University’s response to allegations of student sexual misconduct.This interview is part of phase one noted below. Our implementation plan involves three major “input” phases:
- Individual Interviews – The purpose of this phase is to gather general input to identify campus consensus on the core values to provide the foundation for the policy and the common principles to guide drafting of the policy. Interviewees will be asked to offer their general hopes and concerns regarding the policy in order to establish a set of boundaries for initial policy drafting. This phase is scheduled to be completed by April 2012.
- Focus Group Discussions – The purpose of this phase will be to vet with campus councils and groups a draft policy. Drafting sessions are scheduled for summer 2012. Focus Group discussions are scheduled to occur in August and September of 2012. Input offered during these discussions will inform continued refinement of the draft policy.
- Leadership Vetting – The purpose of this phase will be to engage institutional leadership (executive, student, staff and faculty) in negotiating a final and jointly endorsed policy. This phase is scheduled to begin in November 2012, with a target completion of January 2013.
NOTE: Policy Alignment Phase – Following successful development of the institutional policy for responding to allegations of student sexual misconduct, an alignment phase will focus on facilitating necessary amendments to associated policies and procedures across the institution.
- Core Values - What do you see as key elements to be included in this policy? What critical core values should provide the foundation for the policy? How would you prioritize these values?
- Worst Fears - What are your chief concerns with the future policy?
- Best Hopes - What fundamental interests would you like to see honored through this policy? What are the key objectives you think this policy should address? What will the ideal policy achieve?
- Final Thoughts - Do you have any additional comments to share?