The Regents of the University of Michigan
Graduate Employees Organization
American Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO Local 3550
May 7, 2002 February 1, 2005
MEMORANDA OF UNDERSTANDING
VII. Joint Committee On Graduate Student Pedagogy
The Graduate Employees Organization, the Rackham Graduate School, and the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts will establish a University Committee on Graduate Student Pedagogy. The functions of such a committee would be:
The Committee will be composed of seven faculty members appointed by the Dean of Rackham Graduate School, and five graduate students appointed by the Dean of the Rackham Graduate School out of a pool of ten recommendees supplied by the Graduate Employees Organization.
- To review the recommendations of the Lipschutz/Weisbuch Report on Teaching Assistant Training and Development and develop specific recommendations for the University.
- To address issues of pedagogy and empowerment in a multicultural environment and develop effective training methods for departments.
- To review the adequacy and appropriateness of unit efforts to prepare Graduate Students for instructional roles and their mentorship efforts once Graduate Students are in those roles.
- To develop specific training recommendations.
- To encourage departmental partnership through joint departmental committees on Graduate Student Instructor Training.