The Regents of the University of Michigan
Graduate Employees Organization
American Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO Local 3550
May 7, 2002 February 1, 2005
1. Library privileges provided to employees by the University Library System will be to the same extent, and in the same manner, as those provided to the University's instructional staff.
2. At the request of an employee, the employee will be permitted to review records pertaining exclusively to employment and maintained in a personnel file by a department or unit or by the Personnel Office. It is understood that such records include evaluations which relate exclusively to performance as an employee, but exclude letters of recommendation for employment and records which contain, in whole or in part, information pertaining to performance or progress as a student.
3. Departments will make arrangements for employees to obtain texts when provided free of charge by the publisher. Any instructional materials required by the department chair or designee for a course being taught by the employee or required of students taking the course will be provided at no cost to the employee.
4. An employee's department or unit shall make arrangements for the employee's access to his/her office, and with the exception of the School of Music, to the building containing that office, consistent with arrangements made for the instructional or research or similarly situated professional staff of that department or unit.
5. The supplies, duplicating, collating and other office machinery (e.g., photocopier, typewriter, etc.) of a department or unit shall be available without charge to an employee to the extent required by his/her employment obligations and to the same extent and on the same terms as they are made available to meet the instructional purposes of the other instructional staff, in accordance with all rules and regulations of his/her department or unit which do not violate the above. Departments are not required to provide individual photocopiers or computers to employees or to give them access to main departmental offices after office hours. This article in no way assumes that employees have unlimited copying rights or unlimited access to supplies.
The special conference procedure (as set forth in Article XVI) shall be available to discuss specific concerns about such regulations.
6. Each department or unit shall make available a convenient receptacle at a designated location for employees to receive University business correspondence and U. S. Mail. At least one (1) receptacle shall be available for each letter of the alphabet that is the same as the first letter of the last name of at least one (1) departmental employee.
7. A department or unit will provide telephone access and a desk or work surface for an employee as necessary for the fulfillment of the employee's work obligations. It is understood that telephone access, the desk or work surface is not necessarily for the exclusive use of an individual employee. If an employee is required to hold office hours, suitable space will be provided to fulfill this requirement.
8. An employee may submit in writing to the appropriate department or unit committee any matter concerning the employment relationship of employees in that department or unit. If the matter is subsequently placed on the committee agenda, the employee initiating the matter and other employees, including the department or unit steward, if any, may be invited to discuss the matter. If other employees are invited, the employee initiating the matter must be invited.
9. No employee will be required to act, nor will any employee act, in a manner which constitutes a health or safety hazard in their employment relationship.
10. The University and the Union shall share the cost of printing three thousand (3,000) copies of this Agreement. From this supply, the University shall provide each employee with a copy of this agreement within sixty (60) calendar days of its ratification. For each subsequent academic term under this Agreement, the University shall provide a copy of this Agreement to each employee appointed for the first time.
11. Except as noted in the paragraph immediately following, an employee who teaches a discussion, lab or lecture course will be consulted by the chair or designee prior to any change in the final grades which the employee has assigned. The employee shall be given reason for the proposed grade changes at this consultation.
If the employee cannot be contacted after an attempt has been made to do so, written notification of the grade changes will be sent to him or her as soon as possible.
12. Each employee shall receive an ITD computing allocation equal to the faculty allocation during any term in which he or she is employed.